Between going to class, attending club meetings, and spending time with friends, it is hard enough to find the time to study, let alone visit Lexington’s attractions. Although our time in college may be limited, there are many fun and exciting things to do in Lexington. It would be a shame to miss out on these opportunities during your time here at UK, so our team has put together a list of forty must-sees that we think everyone should experience while at the University of Kentucky.
1. Camp out for tickets to Big Blue Madness.
2. Go to Louisville for the Kentucky Oaks.
3. Watch the Kentucky Derby. Televised or in person, this is a Kentucky tradition worth celebrating.
4. Participate in UK FUSION during K-Week every fall.
5. Use the underground tunnel between CB and POT, especially on a rainy day.
6. Attend an SAB event. With a wide range of activities ranging from concerts to comedians, they are guaranteed to have something interesting for you!
7. Tailgate for a UK Football game. Want to take it up a notch? Road trip to an away game.
8. Participate in Fish Racing at Two Keys Tavern. A nice break during the week as well as a fun game with friends. Fish are provided.
9. Visit Keeneland, particularly on College Scholarship Day.
10. Go to the 5/3rd Pavilion downtown for Thursday Night Live during the summer and early fall.
11. Indulge your sweet tooth with frozen yogurt at Naticakes. Each purchase goes towards the Natalie Wynn Carter Foundation.
12. Make it to at least one UK Basketball game.
13. Visit the Kentucky Horse Park and take a private or group lesson to experience what horse culture is all about.
14. Watch the sororities and fraternities showcase their moves at Greek Sing.
15. Dance the night away at The Penguin. This dueling piano bar is also the perfect place for a private party.
16. Go for a run at The UK Arboretum.
17. Watch a film showing or attend a concert at The Kentucky Theatre.
18. Grab dinner at Charlie Brown’s.
19. Love chocolate? Go on a shopping spree at Old Kentucky Chocolates.
20. Cheer on the Cats at a UK Hockey Game.
21. Catch a live show at the Lexington Opera House.
22. Grab lunch at Tolly Ho. Greasy food never tasted so good.
23. Play a day of golf at The University Club.
24. Visit one of the area's many great wineries.
25. Chow down at Ramsey’s Diner. Don't forget to get some pie for dessert!
26. See Kentucky's proud history of bourbon making through experiencing the Kentucky’s Bourbon Trail.
27. Go to a concert at the Lexington Convention Center.
28. View the collection at the University of Kentucky Art Museum, open daily.
29. For an original burger experience, visit Sawyer’s, located downtown. With a burger-bar full of toppings, the possibilities are endless.
30. Grab a slice of pizza at Pazzo’s Pizza Pub. This pub offers the best pizza and pretzels around, as well as the largest draft selection in central Kentucky.
31. Party the night away at Beaux Arts Ball. Hosted each semester by UK College of Design students, the ball proceeds benefit scholarship funding and local charities.
32. Take a tour of Alltech’s Lexington Brewing Company. You can watch how Kentucky Ale, Kentucky Light and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale are each made, as well as discover your favorite in the sampling pub.
33. Release the stress of finals week by participating in the Undie Run.
34. Be a part of Dance Blue. Since 2006, this student run 24-hour dance marathon has been raising millions of dollars for the UK Pediatric Oncology Clinic.
35. Get scared looking for ghosts at Waverly Hills Sanatorium. If you enjoy a night of good frights, than March-August take some friends and visit this historic site.
36. Have a true Southern dining experience at Merrick Inn.
37. Take your friends and test your knowledge at Old Chicago's Trivia Nights.
38. Support the UK Fine Arts student's and come to Open Studio. Every December, these students host an open house in the Reynolds building showcasing their work. There is a juried art show, art for sale, and food. It is a great way to support the arts!
39. Help break a world record during K-Week at CSF’s Water Balloon Fight.
40. Come to The Study for Individual Academic Consultations, GRE Prep Courses, and FREE Peer Tutoring!