Friday, February 7, 2014

Student Spotlight: Katie Yates


Amanda Gerakos, Marketing Intern

Katie Yates has been a Physics tutor at The Study for two years now. Get to know Katie a little better with our Student Spotlight where we ask Katie some interesting questions about herself.

Name: Katie Yates
Major: Chemical Engineering
Occupation: Physics Tutor
Hometown: Paducah, KY

Describe yourself in three words: I would say I’m enthusiastic, motivated and organized.

Favorite Starbucks drink: White chocolate mocha

Favorite Movie: I’d have to say any of the Harry Potter movies.

What are some of your other hobbies? I’ve been super involved in my sorority since I’ve been in college and I love hanging out with my friends, but I also appreciate time spent with a cup of coffee and a good book.

What influenced you to come to UK? Being born and raised die-hard UK fan I’ve bled blue my entire life, so there’s really no other place I’d rather be!

Best memory at UK so far: UK winning the national championship was by far one of the best nights I’ve had in college and something I’ll never forget.

Most embarrassing moment: I was in the engineering library one day and while it was almost completely silent the Pandora app on my phone randomly started playing a really inappropriate song at full volume. To make it even better, a group of professors just happened to be walking past at the time, I was mortified. 

Favorite spot on UK’s campus: I think the engineering quad is really pretty, as nerdy as that sounds.

Favorite part of Lexington/UK: The way campus looks and smells in the fall right around the time the leaves start to change is one of my favorite things in the world.

What is the number one thing on your UK bucket list? To do DanceBlue again! The first time I danced, the marathon was cut to only 12 hours and I can’t wait to do the full 24. I’ve had the opportunity to work as a member of the programming committee this year and I can’t wait to experience the extraordinary marathon we’ve spent so long planning!

What is the best part about your job with Academic Enhancement? The amazing and always entertaining people that I get to work with! Everyday is an adventure at The Study.

If you won $1 million, what would you do with it? As cliché as it sounds, I would want to travel as much as possible. I’ve never been out of the country and there are so many places I’d absolutely love to see.

What do you want to achieve after college? I’ll be starting as a manufacturing engineer with a consumer products company after graduation and I guess we’ll see from there!


What advice would you give to other students? Get involved in different organizations and activities on campus! College is so much more enjoyable when you experience as much as you can of what the campus has to offer you.

No comments:

Post a Comment