By: Laura McGehee, Marketing Intern
The aroma of pumpkin spice lattes wafts from Starbucks, everyone is stocking up on oversize bags of Halloween candy, and the trees lining campus are starting to change into beautiful shades of orange and brown. While the weather may not be perfect for pool parties, ice cream dates, or outdoor concerts, fall is here with exciting and new date opportunities! We have searched the web, interviewed college dating pros, and experienced some of these dates ourselves, so here is a list of our top 10 favorite fall date ideas.
1. Pumpkin and Apple Picking- Tis the season for picking some of your favorite fall produce and why not take your special someone to share in the experience! Once you have handpicked your favorites from the patch or orchard (Boyd Orchards is popular and in driving distance from campus), spend time making some delicious treats together. Apple cider, pumpkin or apple pie, and pumpkin bread are all sure to please your taste buds.
2. Carve a Pumpkin- Whether you pick it yourself or purchase one from a nearby store, carving a pumpkin with your date can be a great way to get your hands dirty together and show some creativity.
3. Enjoy the Arboretum- As the leaves begin to change colors and cover the ground, now is the perfect time to take a stroll together and enjoy the scenery. The best part? It’s free!
4. Halloween Movie Marathon- If the weather is gloomy, spend time cuddled up on the couch watching some of Halloween’s most classic movies. Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, and Young Frankenstein are perfect funny movies to enjoy together. More adventurous? Try watching The Hollow, The Omen, or the Exorcist. Not exactly romantic, but these movies will have you moving closer and closer together.
5. Hayrides and Corn Mazes- These activities make for the perfect group date as you and your friends can all enjoy this unique experience. Kelly Farms, not far from campus, offers hayrides, games, and 10 acres of corn mazes. This year’s maze honors Coach Calipari!
6. Horseback Riding- Kentucky is known for its beautiful horses so why not take a ride together before the snow starts to fall. There are plenty of places close to campus and most places can accommodate all levels of experience.
7. Haunted Houses- This thrill is perfect for group dates. Screampark, located on Manchester Street here in Lexington, is Kentucky’s largest haunted event. With an “Insanity Hospital,” “Castle of Fear,” “The Abyss” (a twisting maze of darkness), and other attractions and events, there is plenty of horror to entertain the whole crowd.
8. Farmers and Flea Markets- A whole new experience of shopping and eating, enjoy the fresh foods at local farmer’s markets and the interesting finds at your closest flea market.
9. Wine Tasting- For our of-age couples, head to a local winery for wine tastings together. Talon Winery off Tates Creek offers group and guided tours for only $10 a person!
10. Enjoy the Weather Together- Have a day picnic, go for a hike, or snuggle up next to a bonfire. The cooler weather has its perks and your special someone will appreciate these simple, yet fun fall activities.