Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Navigating Your Summer Advising Conference

Allyson Lough, Marketing Intern

Applying to college was a stressful process. Receiving decision letters was even more nerve-racking. Graduation came and I wasn’t a high school student anymore. I was so excited to attend the University of Kentucky in the fall, but it still seemed surreal.

The first time I started to think of myself as a college student was at my advising conference. Being able to spend several days on campus gave me a personal connection with the students and the organizations at UK.


As you are preparing to come to campus for your Summer Advising Conference, I encourage you to:
  • Consider staying in campus housing during your conference. It’s relatively inexpensive and gives you insight to living on campus during your freshman year. Your parents can stay in a room with you in Keeneland Hall for $23 per person, per night.
  • Attend as many information sessions as possible.
  • Spend some time exploring campus and attending sessions without your parents. See who you meet by yourself.
  • Take the lead. Don’t let your parents do all the talking.
  • Introduce yourself to other incoming freshman in your major college sessions because they are people you’ll take class with in the fall.
  • Take information and free swag from all the student organization and resource tables! Talk to the UK students working the tables about their organization and their time at UK in general. We love to share our experiences!
  • Almost all the organizations at SACs have social media accounts that are updated frequently with events and news. Follow and like them!
  • Go out to dinner in the evening at a local Lexington restaurant. Ask for suggestions during sessions.
  • Set aside some time after you return home to sit down with your parents and sort through all the information given to you during the SAC. Start thinking about what resources and organizations you are going to explore further during K Week.
Remember that this is your school. You will be the one attending UK in the fall and everything at the Summer Advising Conference is there to help you better understand campus, classes and the transition to college. I used my advising conference to start immersing myself in the UK community, and it didn’t take long to feel like part of the Big Blue Nation.

I am beginning my junior year at UK, and it’s hard for me to remember the feelings of uncertainty I had before coming to campus. I love everything about being a Wildcat and I hope that you will too!



No comments:

Post a Comment