Monday, January 30, 2012

The Life of an AE Marketing Intern

Written by Laura McGehee, Marketing Intern

On my first day of my internship with Academic Enhancement, I was simultaneously excited, nervous, and scared.  After I was hired, I did not really know what to expect.  I began asking questions: What would I be required to achieve? Would I be able to handle the workload? Was this internship the experience I needed to take my skills to the next level?
            All my questions were answered when I had my first meeting with my supervisor, Megan Beach, and two of the other interns.  She was passionate about our team, hopeful for the future of Academic Enhancement, and ready to do whatever it took to continue towards maximum growth and success.
            Throughout the semester I was given the flexibility to create my own hours and complete many tasks at my own pace.  This was extremely important to me as I juggled another internship as well as a full load of classes.  With the freedom to create my own schedule, I was able to offer my abilities when I was needed, as well as carefully prioritize my own day-to-day life.
            While I have had other internships before and feel I have a wide range of skill sets, I found that there was so much more to learn.  I created promotional materials using Adobe InDesign and Movie Maker, learned how to properly target social media outlets, and expanded my vocabulary and writing skills.  I was challenged to take on these programs and ideas while being given the tools I needed to succeed.
            Another great aspect about this internship is the people I have met in and around the office.  These are driven individuals with goals and aspirations similar to mine, and who also push me to be better in all of my work.  I look forward to coming to my job and seeing familiar faces that I can collaborate with on projects. 
            With the freedom of this internship, I was able to find my own niche and complete many tasks I actually enjoyed.  From writing stories about fashion, to interacting with students in classroom visits, I was able to hone in on my already existing skills and make them even better.
            This internship is great for anyone who is looking to better prepare themselves for the career world, learn new skills, and meet a great group of people.  I have enjoyed my time with the AE team.  I hope that whatever job I take on in the future provides me with as much satisfaction as the Academic Enhancement Internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment